Lesson Book page 21
- C-D-E related to the 2-black-keys
- Piece on the white keys
- Hand crossings
- Finding C-D-E all over the keyboard
- Smooth and graceful crossovers
- Steady tempo
let's get started
- Here's an easy way to find C-D-E. Look for the 2-black-key group. C-D-E are the keys directly underneath. (Help the student find some groups.)
- Circle all the 2-black-keys. Write C-D-E on the white keys.
- (On the closed keyboard cover, then on C-D-E) Let your LH rise slowly, as if it were attached to a balloon. Let it come back down slowly and gently. (See video)
- Let your LH rise and float over the RH. Your RH can then float out from under and move higher, too. (See video)
- Just as these C-D-E groups float up the page, so your balloons will float to the top of the keyboard. (Demonstrate.)
- Let's float gently with a duet! (Download duet)
Teach large gestures before small ones.
explore and create
Pop Your Balloons!When you finish the piece, let your RH push off the C-D-E cluster, popping your balloon.
Happy Landing!Start at the top and let the balloons float happily to the ground—E-D-C, E-D-C, etc. Play a jaunty duet. (Download duet)
Hide and SeekPut your RH fingers 2-3-4 over C-D-E and close your eyes. I'll play some short patterns. You can copy me! (Try some using the LH.)
Trick the TeacherPlay some patterns using C-D-E for me and see if I can copy you!
An analogy can paint a picture or suggest a feeling.
This first piece for the white keys teaches C-D-E as a group. It also directs the student's eyes to move up the page just as the hands move up the keyboard. Playing with the middle fingers directs the weight toward the center of the hand.
Since this is the first time the hands cross over each other to go higher, the gestures involved should be prepared. This can be done on the closed keyboard cover before trying the gestures on the keys. The hand must first rise and sink gently, as if tied to a balloon.
This preparation eliminates the need to look for specific C-D-E groups—a good way to begin.
accompaniments on disk
- CD Tracks 14-15
- MIDI File 7