Lesson Book page 39
- Stepwise motion on the staff
- Line-space; space-line
- Directional reading
- Melodic contour
let's get started
- (If you can, use a staircase to introduce stepping up and down.)
- Lines and spaces on the staff are like stair steps for notes to go up and down.
- Let's trace the way the notes move in the piece. (Use the student's arm, an imitation bird, or actual stair steps.) (See Video)
- On which note does the Bluebird start his song? Now watch how he goes down and up. Eyes on the music! ((Download duet)
When notes move from line to space on the staff, they either step up or down.
explore and create
Play Where I PointThis is a game to train your eyes. (Playfully zoom your index finger only to first notes in different measures. Then point to third beats.)
Repeat What I PlayI'll play a few notes in the C five-finger scale. Repeat what I play. (Assess how easily the student is able to copy.)
Same Game, Eyes ClosedPlace your hand in the C five-finger scale. Then with your eyes closed, listen for the sound stepping up or down. (Play one octave lower.)
You've Got the PowerNow you be the leader. See if I can hear with my eyes closed.
Silly BluebirdThe lyrics say, "The Bluebird practices all day long". In his practice, let's have him play a wrong note for the final C. (See Video)
Playing music is like driving—directional signals are important!
p. 25 Steps on the Staff
- Identify Stepping Up or Stepping Down with a hot air balloon or submarine. Then name and play the notes.
Attention here is on recognizing step-wise motion (line-space-line) and note names on the staff from Middle C to Treble G. With the exception of measures 7 and 8, the directional movement is clearly down and up. Although the emphasis should be on reading directionally, the student should also be aware of the note names. All the notes in the C five-finger scale are played from top to bottom, but this position is not yet named as such—another example of the experience preceding the definition.
accompaniments on disk
- CD Tracks 46-47
- MIDI File 23