The Bugle Boys
Lesson Book pages 62-63
- The end of the book
- A peppy tempo
- Strong dynamic contrasts
- Clear rests
- Getting the left hand ready for the changing positions
let's get started
- At the end this band marches away. The farther it goes, the softer it gets.
- Each time it repeats, the left hand moves one octave lower. Let's try those moves down the keyboard.
- When the band is close (the first time), it's forte. When it moves, it's mezzo forte—then (down low) piano.
- Let's make sure we hear the right-hand and left-hand rests. Hup (rest) Hup (rest) Hup 2-3-4.
- Ready to march!
It's the end!
explore and create
Piccolo Start-UpThe piccolos tune up to start off the parade. Listen, get ready—march! (See video)
The F Company BandAnother band joins the parade. (Student transposes to F.)
The G Company BandHere comes another band! (Start in the G five-finger scale.)
March with UsIs there a drummer or triangle player in the house who would like to march along with these bands?
The Entertaining Bugle Boys"The Entertainer" joins the Bugle Boys for a spectacular finish. (See video and download duet)
Hats off to these Bugle Boys!
pp. 47-48 Review (Units 1-10)
- A review of notes, concepts, and rhythms completes this book.
Technique & Artistry
p. 32 Leading the Parade
- Some technical mistakes stem from poor rhythm and vice versa.
- This little etude presents all note values from the Primer in strict march time.
- A perfect steady beat will help fingers march on the tips. Remember to sit tall, too!
p. 32 Let's Boogie!
- Point out four measures that skip up.
- Point out two measures that repeat.
- Point out a measure that steps up. A measure that steps down.
- Let's clap it first. We'll make a loose fist during the rest.
- Ready to play!
It's a good idea to set up the introduction and ending first. They are similar, but different. The moves and dynamic changes at the end are made easier by advance preparation.
This is the "graduation" piece. It represents what has been achieved at the end of the Primer Book. And what a spirited finale it is!
accompaniments on disk
- CD Tracks 88-89
- MIDI File 44